Travel authorization (ESTA) for USA

You are here:  Home > Travel authorization (ESTA) to USA

Travel authorization (ESTA) to USA

If you are citizen (holds a passport) in one of the following countries, you can apply for a travel authorization (ESTA) for temporary visits to USA instead of applying for a visa.

Andorra Australia Austria Belgium Brunei
Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France
Germany Greece Hungary Iceland Ireland
Italy Japan Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania
Luxembourg Monaco Netherlands New Zealand Norway
Portugal Republic of Malta San Marino Singapore Slovakia
Slovenia South Korea Spain Sweden Switzerland
United Kingdom

The travel authorization (ESTA) is intended for temporary travel to USA, for business or recreational purpose. The ESTA permit is valid for two years, or until you get a new passport. During the validity period you can travel to USA as much as you want, but you cannot stay longer than 90 days per stay.

When do I need a visa instead of an ESTA?

In case you wish to stay longer than 90 days in USA, you will need to apply for a visa instead. You do that by contacting the American embassy in the country where you live. It is not possible to apply for a visa online.

If you answer “Yes” on any of the questions in the application form, you will most likely not be approved for a travel authorization. In those cases it is better to apply for a visa instead.

If you are going to USA to work or study, you should have a visa instead of an ESTA.

Do I need to provide proof of my ESTA?

No, you do not. The travel authorization is registered electronically through your passport number. You could print out the e-mail confirmation if you want a paper for your own sake, but the border control will not ask for it.

You should bring the address of the hotel where you will spend the first night.

I have got a new passport, is my old ESTA still valid?

No, your ESTA is connected to your passport and if you get a new passport, you need to apply for a new ESTA and pay the fee one more time.

I wrote the wrong name or birth date on the application, can I change?

It is not possible to change an already approved travel authorization. If you made a mistake and wish to correct, you need to apply one more time and pay the fee again.

Is ESTA necessary for transit?

If you transit in USA you need to apply for travel authorization (ESTA).